Thursday, January 9, 2014

The Gulf Stream

I woke up to the sound of Kiawah's engine and water rushing past her bow. Yesterday's plans flooded back to me as I got up and moved through the darkness and into the cockpit. "Morning early bird" my mom said. "Morning" I answered back. It was very dark outside,still, and I could see the little lights back on land. It looked a ways back. "How far away from land are we?" I asked my dad groggily. "About three miles" he said. Inside, I jumped up and down for joy, because I was going to the Bahamas...

Bahama bound...
after this nap.

Just like that, I was in the Gulf Stream, on my way to the Bahamas; It was 2:00am when my mom and dad pulled up the anchor from Peanut Island's sandy bottom; 2:30 when my mom and dad motored out of the gap between Peanut Island and the mainland, Florida; 3:00 when my mom and dad passed the buoy that marked the edge of the Gulf Stream; and it was 4:00 when I got up.
Soon after, my sister got up. I was still tired, so I went back to sleep and didn't get up until 7:30. I sleep a lot. Anyways, Wren and I got hungry, so mom made us some oatmeal.
I could tell that my sister was nervous to cross,but I was really excited, but who wouldn't, WE WERE GOING TO THE BAHAMAS!

Somewhere during the day, my dad put out the fishing lures. About halfway through he crossing, the line pulled tight, and the rod bent. Dad rushed to the line and fiddled with it. The fish at the other end thrashed around in the water, making loud splashing sounds. At first, my dad thought it was a Tuna, but as he struggled to reel it in, he shouted, "It's a Dolphin"! (not to be confused with the mammal kind of Dolphin...) We all gasped. We had caught a Mahi Mahi! There are pictures below.
Ready with the gaff

Mahi-Mahi!




 Dolphins are pretty fish with bright colors, and they are prized for their delicious meat. Dad landed the big fish with the gaff. A gaff is a really sharp hook used for catching big fish. Anyways, my dad was psyched. He cut it up into thick steaks, which we later had for dinner.

                
Later in the day, Wren spotted the mammal kind of Dolphin. The dolphin swam right up to our bow, playing with our boat for a few minutes before diving back under the clear, green waves. 

Bottle nose!

After that, Kiawah didn't have much excitement except for a few flying fish that leapt out of the water. They were pretty cool too.

Passing the time

When we got to the anchorage, I had made a 24 foot rope ladder, with the help of a knot tying book I got for Christmas. I can't wait to climb a palm tree!
Anyway, we anchored off a Bahamian island called Great Sail Cay.

So! I am in the Bahamas!!! Cheers!!


Riley


No comments:

Post a Comment