Wednesday, January 29, 2014

My First Coral Reef Adventure

had one of the best days of my life yesterday. We snorkeled on a coral reef and saw all kinds of pretty fish! I'll start from the beginning.

When I got up that morning my mom and dad suggested that we go to a beach. Of course we said yes! So we packed our things in the dinghy and motored, what seemed like forever, to the beach. The beach was pretty but really small. I couldn't sit down on it without having my toes in the water! Dad decided that before we went to the beach we would try to find some coral reefs so he could fish. After many attempts we headed back to shore. I looked for pretty shells while Wren and dad gorged on cheese and crackers. Mom was off looking for coconuts in the woods somewhere, and when she came out, she took us on the paddle boards, looking for Queen Conch. We found a bunch of empty shells but what we did find was a lot better than conch! We stumbled across a shallow coral reef with clown fish, sea fans, and beautiful butterfly fish. The fish were all sorts of colors. I could hardly believe my eyes it was so beautiful. I also picked up a few shells with the lobster snare. When my dad said it was time to head back to Kiawah and he dingheyed back to shore to get our stuff which we left on the beach. Mom paddled Wren and I around shore which was sharp limestone where we saw some bigger fish. When dad caught up with us we told him about seeing bigger fish and then he got out the hawaiian sling, which is a sling shot with a spear. He wanted to get some fish for dinner. There were all kinds of fish to spear but he preferred the blue striped grunts and also the schoolmaster snapper. He shot about thirty times and only four of those shots were fish, just to give you an idea how hard it is. That night for dinner we had three grunts and one Schoolmaster. They were delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment